Saturday, July 22, 2023

Pastel Detox

I have been gravitating towards expressing feelings or concepts in abstract recently, but the thinking part of my brain also finds these less satisfying to paint or to look at. It can get boring quickly if I do multiple in a row.

So this painting is a compromise of real and abstract things. Similar to the last post, I still feel that my recent paintings are lacking in creativity/newness but also feel really me -- like that they always existed and I'm just manifesting them now.

I chose to do this painting over others that I might have been more excited to start, because I'm trying to get through my rainbow ideas and clear out my current paint pots.

The concept for this painting is focus, inspired by a fun concert I attended. I have resolved to being more focused/committed and that has returned good results so far:
-Focusing helps me experience more nuance and enjoyment, represented by the colored dots in the middle vs. gray dots on the edge
-But I also can't help that my thoughts wander to think about related things, indicated by the spotlights pointed in different directions and the many dots on the periphery

Application:
-Gradient backgrounds always make it more challenging/limiting in erasing/undo/fix what's on top
-The dots feel wonky and I can't put my finger on why. I used a dotting tool, and both the sizes and placement might be off
-This is a 5x7 panel

Anyway, it's cute, yay.
"What Do You Think?"

일코하려고 했었어요.
-"Love Yourself: Answer" color scheme was actually an accident. My intent was just to paint a regular rainbow with a different starting color.
-Blue and orange panels call back to the Agust D tour, with great efforts to avoid looking like UVA colors.
-Instead of pastel dots, I could used the bold red, green, and blue of the concert colors; but didn't think of it. It might have been more unique for my portfolio, but less representative of the concept/message, which is "happy".

0 comments:

Post a Comment